If you are planning a summer trip to Italy, whether it is for leisure or business purposes, there are a number of cool regional celebrations that you cannot miss all across the boot. Witnessing these traditional events will allow you to taste, experience and understand Italy better, and to appreciate your visit a lot more!
Here is a list of fun summer festivals:
- Joust of the Quintana, Umbria/Marches – A spectacular jousting tournament held in the towns of Foligno (June, September) and of Ascoli Piceno (August). This medieval tradition is enriched by original costume parades of knights on horseback, ladies, valets, drummers and trumpeters.
- Feast of Santa Rosalia, Sicily – In July the town of Palermo celebrates its Patron with a solemn procession, live music and bands by the streets, and a beautiful firework display.
- Festa de’ Noantri, Lazio – The heat of July does not scare Romans away from the folkloristic celebration in honor of the Beata Vergine del Carmelo (Our Lady of Mount Carmel). Traditional dances and music, Carnival floats and fireworks light up Trastevere, one of the most characteristic neighborhood in Rome.
- Giochi de’ le Porte, Umbria – In September, the town of Gualdo Tadino hosts ancient games including a Palio, a race on donkeys (without the saddle), and an archery competition. Local delicacies are not to be missed!
- The Narcissus Festival, Abruzzo – In June, Rocca di Mezzo holds a perfumed parade with Carnival floats decorated with colorful and scented flowers.
- Amiata Piano Festival, Tuscany – A prestigious series of concerts featuring classical music take place in June and August in the beautiful landscape of the Maremma Tuscany.
- Calici di Stelle: All across Italy, from Val d’Aosta to Sicily, wine lovers celebrate the summer with wine tastings as well as art events and music shows in the first days of August.
If you are planning a celebration, wedding, vacation or a business meeting in Italy, why not combine it with the unique cultural events that take place in this beautiful country full of traditions? This will create an authentic experience and great memories for your special occasion!
Contact Italian Special Occasions DMC for more ideas and for customized quotations.
Festa di Santa Rosalia, photo from livesicilia.it
Joust of the Quintana, photo from quintanadiascoli.it
Narcissus Festival, photo from voir.it